If you are looking for latex mattresses, there are some things you should know. There are natural as well as synthetic mattresses in Malaysia. There are also hybrid latex mattresses. Latex is a good choice for a bed mattress because it is long lasting and highly durable. We share the differences in natural and synthetic latex mattresses so you can make a better decision when you make your purchase.
What is a Latex Mattress?
Latex comes from the sap of a rubber tree. When it is exposed to air, it coagulates and turns into a solid form. There are several advantages to latex mattresses such as:
● Pressure relieve: Due to its elastic properties, latex can respond to your weight, shape and movements. It helps support the heaviest parts of your body to relieve pressure.
● Durable: Latex is naturally resilient and can maintain its shape and performance for years.
● Eco-friendly: The rubber trees used to produce latex convert over 90 million tons of carbon dioxide into oxygen yearly.
● Low Maintenance: You don’t need to flip your latex mattress and it is also easy to clean.
Natural latex is carefully manufactured and in order to keep the product pure, there are several processes such as keeping it in a mold after extraction from the rubber tree. The mold is then placed into a vulcanization oven and the product is heated to remove moisture. The latex foam is then removed from the mold and washed.
What is a Synthetic Latex?
Synthetic latex is made from petrochemicals produced to imitate the properties of natural latex. Synthetic latex is cheaper than its natural alternative and we know cheaper isn’t necessarily better.
Disadvantages of synthetic latex includes:
● It is more prone to tearing
● Not as durable as natural latex
● Prone to strong offgassing, the release of gases, chemicals and volatile organic compounds into the air
There is an alternative to synthetic latex if you are not prepared to spend a lot on a natural latex mattress. Blended latex mattresses are mixed with memory foam and sold as a hybrid mattress. Some manufacturers may only add a minimal amount of natural latex and brand their product 100% natural latex, so do check carefully with the store you are buying from.
Latex used as the top layer of a hybrid mattress can add incredible softness to increase the overall comfort of the mattress. You can test the softness of the blended latex mattress at the shop by pressing onto it. THe indentation load deflection gives you an idea of firmness.
Latex mattresses also conform to the contours of your body and unlike memory foam, you will not feel stuck at certain parts. Latex also bounces back quickly when you remove the pressure from the mattress.
Despite the many advantages of a latex mattress, there are also disadvantages:
● Its firmness may reduce after more than a month of use
● Compression can occur in synthetic latex especially if you or your partner carry a lot of weight.
● Natural latex mattress is not friendly for your waller
● 100% latex mattress is heavy and can be a hindrance if you need to move it frequently
Bedding Affairs’ MattX™ Latex Memory Foam Mattress is a hybrid mattress where 100% natural latex certified by Eco-Institut is placed on the top later covered by TENCEL™ knitted cover. Below the latex layer is cool gel infused memory foam certified by CertiPUR-US © followed by memory foam which helps absorb movement so you can have a comfortable sleep even when your partner gets up from bed.
Get in touch with Bedding Affairs for more information on the Hybrid Latex Mattress.